PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2015, 17:28
Random Bloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all the blame can be laid at the door of the contractor. The aircraft are effectively 'owned' by the project team (PT). The PT produce the aircraft document se (ADS); the 'Haynes Manual' if you will, and the contractor services the ac in accordance with those instructions and the PT is supposed to monitor the contractor to ensure compliance. I understand that the ADS was woefully inadequate and yet the PT had not addressed the problem so the contractor was hamstrung from the outset. Before you blame the RAF remember that the PT is part of DE&S and the PT engineers are mostly Civil Servants (remember when the SA80 was referred to as the Civil Servant because "you can't make it work, and you can't fire it").

Should the RAF now step in and solve the problem? I think that would set a dangerous precedent for other contractors - screw up and the RAF will sort it. No, the contractor is paid to do a job and so the contractor and the PT should sort it. With an SDSR looming and reducing budgets I can't imagine the ACO gliders being high on the list and tough decisions may have to be made.