PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 6th Nov 2015, 11:29
8Pieced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Pump System - some points

It is quite clear to me also, that some pilots may have been doing work arounds to the dry running pumps. If I start by admitting that I have left a dry running pump on for a minute or two knowing that it would subsequently become immersed - as I might forget to switch it back on. The Police role in particular has hover, low speed, or forward flight periods, sometimes changing between these stages many times. If you have announced to your crew when F PUMP AFT or FWD has come on, that you will leave it on as you know you will be moving to another attitude shortly, then that firstly is good CRM, but is a work around of a imperfect system. You do that work around as you might forget to switch that pump on again. So really, again, we should be submitting voluntary MORs or at least reporting such work arounds to our operators, so that they can take the issue further.
Have a think about the aircraft you fly, if you are doing anything to make up for an imperfect system, then report it.
I'm a huge fan of EC now AH Products, and I know their engineers can make it even better.
Anyway, let me be clear, the GSPAO scenario was a very simple one, it had a hover portion at Dalkeith where I believe the F PUMP FWD ran dry, followed by a transit back where the F PUMP AFT ran dry. But also had a fault similar to GNWEM, I believe.
Interestingly, thanks to INs published after GNWEM/GSPAO, we know about spill over from Supply tanks to the main, so why now is there not an action - prior to landing to ensure that BOTH Transfer pumps are switched on, to ensure every last drop of fuel which is the main tank is being transferred in to the supply tanks - by the way an automatic system would sort this problem too.