PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Michael Fallon - "Morally Indefensible" not to saction force over Syria
Old 6th Nov 2015, 10:39
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Fallon - "Morally Indefensible" not to saction force over Syria

Michael Fallon: 'Morally indefensible' not to bomb IS in Syria - BBC News

When I heard Michael Fallon saying that it was morally indefensible for the UK not to sanction use of force over Syria to attack ISIS/ISIL targets it made me weep.

Don't get me wrong, I am in favour of the UK having a consistent foreign (and joined-up) military policy to combat the threat to the UK's national interests - and they don't have to be from only Muslims - ANY terrorist organisation that was a threat to the UK should be treated the same.

ISIS/ISIL makes no distinction of national boundaries and the RAF should, I believe, be tasked (and resourced) to support our allies already conducting strikes over Syria. Why should they be left to do our "dirty work" for us?

By the same token, I also find it "morally indefensible" for the UK to expect our allies to employ their MPA assets in our territorial waters when we suspect an unknown submarine may be snooping off our shores. There have been several occasions reported where USN, French and Canadian P3's, Atlantiques and Auroras have been called on in the recent past and I wonder what Michael Fallon's feels about that! He should find it embarrassing, and something that a government should feel ashamed enough about to be motivated to address the capability gap.

The Cold War may have ended 25 years ago but the world is still a dangerous place and the UK needs to remember that in the next SDR.

MB

Last edited by Madbob; 6th Nov 2015 at 11:05.