PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can automated systems deal with unique events?
Old 5th Nov 2015, 19:36
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad that the discussion has separated between flying & operating; and concluded, I think, that computers, now, are great at repetitive actions and humans are better at reasoning. Predicting the future is always difficult and AI may catch up with us.
What I perceive is that a computer is great at deciding on an action based on certain parameters; it then has a feedback loop to decide if that action is successful and will adjust its response until it achieves the required success. An experienced human can go through a lot of 'what if I do this, then that will happen, but if I do the other then something else will happen ...' type of thinking and decide on the best 1st course of action from various options. Then the human feedback loop will start. i.e. there can be quite a lot of reasoning before the first action based on an expected best & successful outcome. Plan B, C, D will always be in the background. I wonder if AI will ever be trusted fully by politicians in foreign policy decisions, or by generals in deciding war & battle strategy. I'm not sure of the human v computer chess score at the moment. There will be those who have a deeper knowledge than I of what is already in use or contemplated: it doesn't always mean it's the best method. It's very easy to let things run away from us.