PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2015, 17:45
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biscuit74

The problem is that the contractor has failed to maintain the aircraft in accordance with normal aviation standards both with regard to work done on the aircraft and the records of that work. If the BGA had been providing the oversight I have no doubt they would have taken the same action as the MAA has. ( I know the BGA have in the past taken such action but one private glider grounded won't make national news ).

So to reintroduce the aircraft in to service thorough inspection of the airframe has to be undertaken to find just what has and has not been done. This will involve inspection but if a repair can't be garrenteed to be in compliance with standard practice or an approved repair then it will have to be redone as well as rectification of defects.

If the MoD/ RAF have made a mistake it was to have too much trust in the contractor to resolve the problem, part of this was due to lack of manpower. The military system grinds slowly and with its inertia is difficult to change direction but it has slowly dawned on the MoD/ RAF that this contractor was in desperate need of help and they pointed them in the right direction but they failed to heed this advice. At this point the RAF/ MoD asked other defence contractors to bid for the work ( to my knowlage at least two others have shown an interest ) and I would expect an announcement to be made in the near future as to has been awarded the contract.