PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 5th Nov 2015, 16:42
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan
Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but there's a picture currently circulating on social media of a Metrojet airliner (not sure if its 'the' airliner) on the tarmac in Egypt with some very visible damage to the tail fin.
You will find the photographs of a quite visible apparent hydraulic leak at the base of the rudder on the accident aircraft over recent months was extensively discussed above.

I wait with interest to understand how:

• With some informed discussion within the industry, and above, of the detailed wreckage photographs, where nobody has spotted the generally apparent (to knowledgeable observers, not all here but certainly a few) signs of an explosive, but there is much detailed discussion of an airframe failure
  • With statements by both Egypt and Russia, the two most closely involved with the recovery, that they even today don't particularly but the explosive line
The UK government came to the conclusion to unilaterally ban flights. I hope it's not an "Iceland Volcano" bureaucrat's sort of analysis.

When it comes to the two "flashes" seen from a satellite, I seem to recall that when the Tu144 had an aerodynamic structural breakup at the Paris show (with minimal airshow fuel on board) there was a notable midair explosion and fire within seconds of the breakup, and another on contact with the ground.