PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2015, 15:43
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ye gods ! This is one of the services supposedly in existence to help protect the country - and they can't manage a simple fleet of gliders and motor gliders. Machines flown, maintained and safely operated by civilians throughout the land.

I know several military maintenance folk, at both the sharp end of things and further up the line of command; in my view they are competent & effective, good practical and practicing engineers. What this so clearly suggests to me is how inept overpromoted ex-aircrew are, in many cases, at anything approximating senior management. At the very least some serious re-training is needed. Sadly the whole MoD set up appears to be incompetent in almost all respects.

It is all very well claiming that they are trying to operate to a higher military maintenance standard etc., and that these smaller simpler aircraft therefore cause the system a problem. It seems no-one has ever justified the process supposedly being used. If it is OTT for this purpose, then it is not fit for purpose, by definition. Blinkers appear to be firmly ON.
This shambles doesn't lead to any confidence that the 'leaders' know what they are doing. That leads to unsafe operations, eventually - which is where the ATC shambles came in....

As for the defence of the realm. Hmm - piss ups, breweries, anyone? Worrying - and this is my - our - money being wasted. The only minor ray of sunshine is that by normal UK military standards the waste of money is small.
Can we afford an RAF in future if this the best they can offer, or is this why it is such a sad shrunken relict of its former impressive self?