PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty, naughty! Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt
Old 3rd Jul 2003, 23:32
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MARS:

You are right about the right balance, sometimes I let go before cooling down….I apologize.

To the speeding ambulance: Ask any Transplant receiver whether they consider this case an emergency! Transplants save lives, and expire fast too.

I guess I was wrong about the CAA and AAIB (is it the same relation like FAA and NTSB?).
However if the CAA consists of so professional people, then I wonder why it is so difficult and expensive to get licenses and operate aircraft on a private level and why there are so many restrictions around compared to other continents. (Not just complaining about the CAA but Europe in general...)

I grant there will always be different attitudes according to where one grows up, where you get your license, where you get to work. This shows a lot on this forum.
Though Europe gets a little crowded, it still seems that many restrictions in rural areas are applied because of envy (if I cannot fly, you cannot either…) and nothing else to do than complain. When was the last time that you saw people running outside to wave at you, being happy to see an aircraft? Today in Europe an overflying aircraft is more often a reason to call authorities to complain about noise pollution than having fun observing it.

To the lowflying in Panama: This is not a spur of the moment hillbilly stunt. It is part of a tourist trip mainly offered to Cruiseline passengers, sampled and authorized by the respective legal departments of the Cruiselines. We also do not aspire to get as close as possible to trees, etc. just close enough to give the passengers a low level feel – min clearance at speed about 30 ft.
Normally people walk away with a new view about helicopters - sofar always a way positive one!

Panama has plenty of restricted areas around the city and is a member of the ICAO.

I take your word that the “bridge” pilot would not loose his license.

HELIPORT:

In Panama we have basically the same rules like the FAA:

WITH the exception that you are NOT allowed to descend below the 1000 ft mark over congested areas except when in an emergency or attending the emergency of another party (see part (d) below).

FAA-§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

3top