PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2015, 08:48
tac2ils

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kamaran

What a fascinating thread; the mention of Kamaran Island particularly peaked my interest.

My uncle was an Observer with 203 Sqn (Blenheims IVs) based at Khormaksar in 1940; at the time they were protecting shipping convoys from Italian attack. On one morning of action in Oct 40, the crew shot down their fifth Italian bomber, but before any celebrations could take place, they needed to rearm and refuel on Kamaran Island. Unfortunately they lost an engine on takeoff and whilst trying to get back to the runway, hit a mosque. The aircraft cartwheeled into the ground and burst into flames. Pilot killed outright, uncle and gunner survived impact but died of wounds the next day.

I have pawed over Google Earth images of the island and can see something that is marked as a runway

To the southern end is some ruins that I take to be what's left of the outpost (the words Kamaran Island can be seen in the sand) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@15.35...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

And just a little further south of those ruins I can more ruins (village?) with a building labelled as Al Iraqi mosque. I can only assume that this is the mosque that was hit.

If any of you can shed any more light on RAF activity on Kamaran or indeed on this story, I would be most grateful.