PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2015, 17:06
LAX_LHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woody.

The comment about Manchester 'prostituting itself' was a few years ago now. It was an interview about how BHX could increase traffic, and, his quote at the time was on the lines of 'it's about getting the balance right, we don't want to prostitute our selfs like airports such as Manchester have done to get growth'. If I remember rightly, he was referring to Ryanair re-opening expanded Manchester operations, and this myth by PK was disproven as Michael O'Leary stated at the time that the new deal was worse than the one he was previously on.

So, you say they are facts, so what do you expect him to say? They are not facts, are they though?

His b*tch about MAN receiving a '£12m subsidy to get the Hainan flight' was nothing of the sort. It was a general Visit Britain grant to promote the whole Northern area. He even conceded that on an email to a supporter, didn't he! Some facts they are if you have to retract what you said!

What PK failed to mention, is that Birmingham and its vicinity have been subject to very similar grants, and BHX, as well as other UK airports, is currently I receipt of a grant again for Turkish Airlines. Notice how he is t b*tching about that one, is he?

At the end of the day, I expected nothing less than the BHX supporters coming on here to defend their new Demi-God. But, I find it a bit rich for the BHX clan telling us to 'calm down', 'it's just business' and the likes, as I strongly suspect you would be quick to complain if the barrage was heading in your direction rather than from your direction.

Tell you what, if O'Toole ever says something like 'BHX is a low yielding destination that requires subsidies to work' or 'BHX has a tiny travelling catchment so needs grants to get routes' along with several other rants, then we will see if you continue in your 'keep calm, it's just business' mantra. I strongly suspect you would all be up in arms.

Given O'Toole has better things to do than mouth off on Twitter, and in the media however, we will likely never find out wil we?