PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2015, 11:54
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Supply I'm afraid, fuel injection may solve some problems at the expense of others and will do nothing to assuage the determined naysayers.
Well, w/o carburetor there'd be two accidents less on Cabri's slate.

Now if you could come up with a modern turn key installation in replacement for all those carb and even injected lycomings, you'll have yourself a million euro winner on your hands. (Or after certifications costs, about enough for a Big Mac)
Basically true, for the casual observer.

However the other day I did learn just another great aspect about them S-300C's FI engines. When a friend of mine and I wanted to do some practize hovering we heard that the auxilliary (prime) fuel pump on the 300C is not working. With regard to the weather and especially the OAT of 10°C we were concerned how we were supposed to pour priming fuel into the manifold for the cold start. Mech said 'pah, just crank it'.
Turned out he's right!
No need to enrichen the mixture, 1/2" throttle + start = firing up like a charm.

I must admit besides my public teasing why on earth Bruno did pick that old carbureted engine for his otherwise great machine, I secretely thought, he might have anticipated troubles turning that cruel, air-pressure and pitch-lever and rpm controlled NON-electric FI engine into a turn-key starter. Automatically enriching the mixture on a carburetor - for cold starting by uninitiated personnel - appeared to be more easily doable, to me.

Fact is: the 300C Lycoming FI engine (apparently idling rich per default) doesn't need priming (=electirc fuel pump) for cold starting!
A little throttle + starter will do the trick.

So the (300C's) Lycoming with FI already ARE turn-key engines!

Last edited by Reely340; 4th Nov 2015 at 12:35.