PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines - New/Relevant info
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2015, 02:45
azhkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Tekor

Hi Tekor, EUR7k now equals around HKD60k per month. Is that net of taxes, or not? I am going to assume that is net.

Can you do it? Sure. But you'll be surprised what little it does do.

Family? I recommend Tung Chung or Discovery Bay. You are looking at 25k minimum for any place to have a family, and it will not be great. That leaves you 35k. School? Minimum 8k per child (+1k for the bus) and that is a school that people will cringe when you speak to them about. Now you are pushing it in your day-to-day expenses.

No Family? You can try to live somewhere else. For a one bedroom, you can look at HK Island. it will probably cost you 20k to 25k unless you go a studio route. This is where it deviates. If you go old and small, you may even be able to get something under 20k. If you want new and small, it will push 25k, likewise if you want old and big. If you want new & big, it will be over 25k. Sure, you can play the neighborhood game, and if you are willing to go to a very local neighborhood, like Sha Tin, you may be able to save up to 3k. But you may not have many friends around you, and you'll find your transportation costs go up correspondingly to your savings.

For either, you can find your grocery costs going up. If you eat out for a Western style meal, it will cost you between HKD150-300, and likely double if you add alcohol. Not a drinker, it will save you some. Non-Western meals will save you about 50% too. Cucumbers from Holland? HKD30. It adds up. Especially since the grocery prices follow CPI, but your wage increases won't. For example, a package of four US chicken breasts was HKD115 when I moved here, it's HKD154 now.

The best bargain in HK is transport which is more or less the same cost as when I moved her almost 9 years ago.

In summary, if you are single, selective about where you live and see many places before you decide, and be judicious about eating out (I assume a single guy won't be cooking) you can do it and you may even save a little.