PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downloading files.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2015, 22:33
ExSp33db1rd

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Downloading files.

Is this a Windows H'eight problem, or a personal computer problem, but it has only occurred since I purchased this laptop a couple of years ago pre-loaded with Win H'eight ?

Problem - I often get documents, some Word, some .pdf, sent to me to read by 'clicking" on a link, or selecting the title, but instead of simply opening for me to read -as some do immediately - some do absolutely nothing, so I repeat, and repeat ad infinitum.

I've learned that in fact they "download" each time to a "Downloads" file instead of just opening, and I have to open that file first, to find them to then open and read. I can of course then transfer them to any file on my computer that I wish to use, but have to locate them on my "Downloads" file first.

This is the problem ! They are never filed alphabetically in my "Downloads" file under any name that I can recognise, but choose another one at their whim. For instance I have just received my old school magazine electronically, this is entitled "The Red Rose", but downloading it doesn't list it alphabetically under The ........ or even just Red Rose, but as OGA. OGA is the organisation that produces the magazine - although I know that how was I to know that my computer has chosen to file under that name ?

This is a problem with just about every document that I now find is downloaded and passed to the "Downloads" file without any notification to me that this has happened. A foreign newspaper that I often read, and used to just open, is now downloaded and filed against the date, not by the newspaper name ! How stupid is that ?

I've learned to hit the "Open" option about 10 times in quick succession, so when I go to the "Downloads" file I now look for a block of downloads numbered from 1 to 10 - this stands out, and I can then just open the first of the list and delete the rest.

I'm reluctant to move to Win 10 at the moment, ( or iOS 9 on my iPad ! ) God only knows what new problems that will throw at me to solve.

Thinks - maybe I can rig my Downloads file to list by date order, rather than alphabetically, then at least the just downloaded will be at the top of the page, will go and try that. Watch this space. ( Later - this does seem to work, but now I have to try to remember how many years it is since I downloaded something, or switch back to alphabetical filing again - what a PITA )

Life was easier before computers ( or Windows H'eight )

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 3rd Nov 2015 at 23:01.