PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2015, 16:47
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arclite01

Cynical at Olympic level or what !

I can however see why one would take this view following the events of the last year or so but the glider grounding comes at the same time as the armed forces are under huge pressure to economise and look for new ways of doing things.

With this in mind the the whole air cadet flying requirement is under review, I get the impression that the feeling is that gliding should be just that rather than the motor glider half way house to powered flying.

With the high cost of the motor glider engine retrofit that will be required and the better availability of the Grob Tutors ( due to the reduction in RAF pilot training ) the opertunity to increase the cadets powered flying in the Tutor has presented its self ( albeit at the loss of motor gliding ).

The RAF is acutely embarrassed by the glider grounding as it is the longest grounding in RAF history yet on the simplest aircraft they own and I see a real determination to get the situation resolved ASAP. It would seem that they now have the money to resolve the problems with only the capacity of the industry to govern the time this will take.

I have no doubt some gliding sites will close, extra capacity will be available to others and more powered flying will replace some of the motor gliding, in short things will change but next summer the RAF will have air cadets flying gliders once again.