PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines - New/Relevant info
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2015, 13:34
TheBiggerD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sebatsea,
Simple as to why they don't go back home.
They don't want to be a first year FO at a Legacy. Simple. You can be a 777 captain at EK and if you come back home and apply for a job with a Legacy carrier they will be in the same spot as a regional captain or FO who stayed home and applied for the same job at a legacy.

Hmmmm, an expat American pilot at Air China, Astana, or COPA or a pilot with a US legacy living in your home country with US laws and ALPA in place?......Easy decision; no brainer.....Trust me there is more to the story than what they are telling you or what you are hearing through the rumor mill......

Sebatsea, ultimately what is your long term career goal? Do you want to stay in Europe or are you willing to go halfway across the world to pursue the "dream".....If you want to live and work in Europe my advice is stay put and network, network, network like mad.....

If I had to leave the US and pursue the job with my wife and two young kids in hand, I would personally leave the industry. Being halfway around the world from friends and family to "live the dream", not my cup of tea personally. Much respect to those who do it.

Finally Sebatsea, don't blame the flight schools and TRTO's. Especially in the day and age of the internet and quick Google searches, all of the information is at one's fingertips....You mentioned that you have 2500 hours TT of which 2300 is in a jet. So you walked into a jet straight out of flight school!!!! You my friend really have nothing to complain about. Many of us had more than 2500 hrs TT before we even got a jet job!!!!

Last edited by TheBiggerD; 3rd Nov 2015 at 13:48.