PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of flying - A380 safe?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2015, 09:26
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have managed to avoid involvement in any flight that was not totally routine (apart from an over-run at Beirut in a Coronado that landed very hot) while working as an airline/airport manager/consultant since 1969 and flying as an airline passenger at least 20 times a year on average, short and long-haul. In the same period I have had 3 serious car accidents, and one train accident.

I am living proof that anyone who is involved in a serious incident in a lifetime of flying as a passenger is very, very unlucky. No doubt someone here has time to look up the probability, but I know it's so small as to be almost negligible, like winning the Lottery.

However, you make your own luck, and I make mine by avoiding wherever possible small private airlines in States that were once in the USSR, private airlines in the Far East, and most airlines in Africa.

As a massive generalisation (who cares, it's my life), such airlines tend to have poor management and a lack of working capital, and to be regulated by National Authorities that have a propensity for incompetence, poor training, lack of funds and in some cases corruption. (Rather like the UK CAA, now that I mention it). As a result, they are best avoided, but even so the risk of any given flight going wrong is still extremely small.