PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREAKING NEWS: airliner missing within Egyptian FIR
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 23:44
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@hamster3null - complete tail?

Hamster, you suggest we have the whole tail apart from the HS/THS?

As far as i have seen in the available pictures, we only have the bottom half or so of the 'leading edge' of the vertical tail, and part of the lower structure.
The top of the leading edge, the top of the tail, the complete 'box' structure, and the rudder are still missing.

In one very small picture we apparenlty see the tailcone with the APU access doors open. But as far as i have seen there is no proof that the APU is still inside.

Would be interesting to know if you have seen pictures showing these items.

+++

If we use the available pictures as 'evidence', then uptill now i have not seen any damage that looks like a bomb or missile. There are 2+1 'holes' that look a bit strange, but these can have multiple explanations. Also, quite a lot of structure is missing (no pictures) or severely burned. So, it appears far too soon to focus on these types of causes, or even use words like 'only' or 'inevitable'. In quite a few cases you can only clearly see that kind of damage after a reconstruction. With MH17 being an exception because of the hi res pictures of the hi to lo penetrations of the cockpit floor and pilot seats.

In general at this stage of an investigation all scenario's and options are open. In this case, with the low quality and low resolution of the photos, i would even say 'wide, wide open'.

Last edited by A0283; 3rd Nov 2015 at 00:10.