PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 22:19
DeanoP

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hydraulic Problem (Ref Post1870) & (3821)

AA62 & Smuj

The ALM involved was the same as AA62 referred to.
I am ill qualified to comment on the technicalities of the event having little knowledge of the `hydraulic system. As far as I know the the NLG unlocked and indicated unlocked. It 'freefell and dangled in the airflow and needed drawing back in to a supportive position. I was on the flight deck all the time and did not see what was happening under the flight deck. As far as I recollect there was no discussion about the application of 'G' because I think that being down, it just needed pulling back. I do not think we ever got a 'down' indication after the tie back and just hoped it would not collapse on landing.
The recovery to Kai Tak was at night in good Wx conditions for landing. After T/O the gear was selected 'Up' but all the wheels did not move and remained in the locked position. The captain called for the gear selector to be returned to the down position and we continued en route.
On approach to Kai Tak the captain felt undemanded inputs to the control column, and this was confirmed by the copilot. The A/C was handed over to HAEC for investigation.
The second incident adds to the circumstantial evidence but from your technical comments the first incident appears to be a coincidence.
I believe there was a mod, sometime later, to the NLG that did not allow the gear to be tensioned back any more