PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 14:50
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
aa62

I remember the wedge-type nose gear lock but can't access my memory bank regarding the mod that introduced the nose gear pin. After all, it was over 40 years ago.

I also remember that some, if not all, of the early Ks were delivered with main gear tyre treads that resembled Brillo Pads (ice grip? - or were they for electrical 'grounding' prior to the prong system). These treads were quite painful to any naked parts of the anatomy that happened to come into contact with them while attempting to enter/exit the MLG area.

Harking back to those early days of the K, at Colerne there was a local order that required the MLG doors to be pinned into the raised position for ground movements, i.e. towing. This somewhat baffling rule was in force for a few months before being rescinded - my grey cells refuse to cough up with any valid reason why this rule was introduced in the first instance, but I have a hazy recollection of it being partly to assist the wash-bay team on pre-inspection bath time.
I believe the introduction of the 'inspection-team wash' may have led to the MLG doors-up order being abandoned.