PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins Bad press
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 08:36
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I referred to clones it wasn't so much directed at people being treated as individuals but in some of the statistical evidence supplied which may look at a mass of people as clones rather than individuals.

We probably all know some people who get away with murder in their lifestyles and live to a ripe old age while others who do everything right drop dead at 50

Cholesterol and its interaction in the body is not fully understood and depending on make up it may be perfectly normal for one individual to have high readings
Clone that guy with a blanket your reading must be X because thats a number we determine maybe reducing that guys cholesterol level below a level that particular individual needs for his specific makeup. By reducing it its possible that something else down the chain will go wrong.
Why? Because we don't fully understand Cholesterol and its workings and interactions.

the same could be claimed for HBP for some it maybe normal and a need for them to have higher readings ? Recent studies have shown that reducing that HBP is increasing dementia in some. I know of one continental family who suffered through generations with HBP yet they all lived into their late 90s before all the HBP reducing drugs were available.
Again HBP its cause and mechanism is not fully understood and hence why if the science is incomplete we do not know that reducing A will not adversely effect B C D or E or the effects of the drugs used on other parts of the body to achieve those target figures.

I am not medically qualified and really stress that but have to admit I have always found the subject very interesting. While I agree people with serious illness it is a better of two evils but am wary of mass medication of relatively healthy people and the changing attitude over time when the science becomes more complete. Hence my referral to clones was not directed at the way patients are treated with kindness and individuality which is very important but more at the blanket way certain targets are required to be met by use of drugs and achieving those targets without fully understanding the effects and reaction throughout the system especially on reasonably healthy individuals.

That is not even considering the damage and side effects those drugs cause elsewhere

Addendum

There has to be a differential between drugs used for short term and drugs used long term especially on relatively fit people. We All take a Nurofen for toothaches or a headache or antibiotics to help remove an infection so its really lifetime drugs which are under the spotlight and where side effects which can be life changing in a negative way or damaging in other ways which we need to look at with caution

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:58.