PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2015, 19:51
AnglianAV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ Charlie Juliet.... Had my tonsils yanked out in the RAF Hospital at Steamer Point. Not a happy memory as I came out with a severe ear infection
The Red Sea Hotel was indeed used for transit accommodation. It wasn't actually on Maala, but was on the Khormaksar road a bit further around the harbour from there. We lived in Elbaz Buildings right next to the Red Sea Hotel and I recall it being attacked by what was described at the time as a bazooka, but prob an RPG I guess. Hell of a woosh-bang and that was the first of several bangs I heard. we woz ard in them days and took it in our stride. Still waiting for my GSM !
From Elbaz Buildings I could see Beverleys clawing their way into the air, across the water towards Little Aden. It's just as well there's no high ground on the runway alignment
Interestingly, Little Aden was originally planned to be retained as an SBA, like we did in Cyprus. I guess Harold Wilson didn't want that.
@DeanoP.... The picture of the Bedford RL reminds me of when we moved to a flat on Maala Straight and I rode in the back of the 3 tonner, such an adventure for a six year old.
PYRAMIDS... Oh yes they were I guess I will have to check the archives and get back with some evidence. In the meantime, I've just spoken to my 80 year old Mother and she recalls seeing the pyramids, but can't remember what she had for breakfast this morning.