PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2015, 19:45
chesna152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

Evenin all,
I am a long time reader but fairly new poster so please bear with me! Despite my inexperience in making my voice heard I like to think I have some knowledge of Southend and the industry, so here are my views on the day!

Easyjet cancelling the first wave: yes possible poor show, however to say EGSS Is only 50 min drive away does not tell the story as watiing for check in to close, transferring pax to a bus, completing the journey (50 min in a bus and fog is optimistic in my opinion) and then on arrival all pax need to clear security and check in bags...the result a significant delay. This of course does not mean it is not doable, but it does mean there is a huge knock on for the day. I would think I the decision was taken in good faith to protect the rest of the programme, of course that didn't work out but best laid plans...

CAT 2 ILS:
Southern dual, your posts are mostly extremely negative and as a general trend tend to take a pop at Southend at every chance, I wonder if there is an agenda in your posts?! For a chap that sounds well informed you do have some funny ideas. The chances of the CAA changing guidelines in this case are non existant, unless you fancy widening the runway and knocking down some hangars, and that's just for starters. In this case I think Stobarts finances would be chasing a lost cause!

Anyway back to today, it is of course extremely annoying but before commencing ops EZY were aware of the risks and factored that into their viability studies, as express flight pointed out this is actually extremely rare so let's keep today's and probably tomorrow's delays/cancellations in context. However I feel the cat 1 issue may always restrict EZY's winter ops!

Finally can everyone please listen: Southend does NOT close at night. Southend does NOT have a curfew! Both ATC and fire (cat 6) are h24 and have regular freight flights overnight. For those that have trouble sleeping, if you look at the section 106 agreement you will see that EZY cannot schedule arrivals or departures after 2330, however if flights were scheduled previous and are delayed due tech or weather.. they can, and have, departed at any hour. If they do choose not to this is an operational decision rather than the airport being 'closed'. LTN man and co please take note as there seems to be common reference to the 'curfew'! It does not exist!

Thanks for listening!