PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 1st Nov 2015, 15:47
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Not according to what others on here say that they do. In fact I didn't know that other people were turning the pumps off and on until after this accident.

I always read the FRC action as actions for a Transfer Pump failure, as it states in the FRCs. As I knew that the pumps hadn't failed, I didn't turn them off.
MG, conversely I didn't know that people didn't turn off the pumps until this was discussed. I've never found it a problem to turn them off/on when needed and one can tell when they're going to be needing switching. Perhaps some of us were told that the fuel in the pump also lubricates and cools the pumps, and of us weren't. Point being, not switching them off isn't the norm, which raises the question; what else did you do that wasn't the norm and did you tell the TFO's what you were doing.

As Dg says, you can't know that the pump hasn't failed can you? So apart from not following the 'correct actions', which I know are not etched in stone, you could have been in the situation where should you have had an incident where your pump had failed (related or not) and the switch was found in the wrong position, we would be discussing that incorrect switchology in a new thread as a possible factor.