PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI Briefings
Thread: FI Briefings
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2015, 08:39
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm not an FIC, but I have done a great deal of lecturing / public speaking / as well as a few hundred hours of flying instructing. I even got to give a talk in the ICAO general assembly hall a few months ago.

What's the point of any particular briefing? If it is delivered by a human being, then it is to hear the human being - the special advantage of a small (1:1 / 1:2 ish) is the ability for the speaker and listener to interact, discuss and clarify things.

So, if I'm talking to several hundred people, powerpoint is a powerful tool, but I still need to remember that it's a backdrop - illustrations and key words only, because what really matters is what I as the speaker am saying and how I'm saying it.

A technical university lecture, I find powerpoint needs using pretty sparingly, because I need to open to regular questioning, and there is absolutely no point in putting huge amounts of verbage or equations onto the board or screen, just for students to copy down. That is frankly going back to an era before the invention of the photocopier. Let them buy the book, get or read the handouts, and then come to the lecture for the overview and discussion. Most of the time - there's always exceptions.

Giving a pre-flight briefing, the obvious question is what - as the instructor - am I giving that couldn't be obtained from reading a Jeremy Pratt book or watching a King video? The answer to me is that I provide interaction: the student is able to question the descriptions as we go through things, ask for clarification, or discuss something that they have trouble understanding.

Most times, I don't see that powerpoint does that very well. So, whilst a regular user of powerpoint, I seldom use it for pre-lesson briefings. I may have asked the student to do some prior reading or preparation - but the briefing is far more interactive with a whiteboard or equivalent (personally I carry a big kids art pad and multicoloured felt tip pens in my car - that works like a whiteboard, except that the student can take the pages home with them).

One other thing - anybody with huge amounts of text on their slides, what the hell was that there for? The Pooleys commercially sold pre-flight briefings for example, is just designed by somebody with no grasp of how people think and learn. Not about aviation, but in my opinion, here's a striking example of how NOT to do it.

?Presentation "Inconvenient Truths and Convenient Lies: the Global Climate Change Issue By Cynthia McMeans (and primarily from Al Gore s An Inconvenient Truth: A Global."

G