PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nine Dead in Fox Glacier Crash, New Zealand
Old 1st Nov 2015, 05:00
Lepper Messiah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prospector

You are just not comprehending this. This is not the back of a cargo 747 with some unrestrained vehicles with hand-breaks off as cargo.

This is a tiny fletcher with 8 people in the cabin, along with 4 large parachutes (about the size of a trampers pack but wider). It is not a slippery slidey surface, its effectively rubber on rubber,- the jump suits have a rubber like protective pad on the arse, I'm not sure what you'd call it, but for protection / wear when landing.

In order to get 8 people and 4 tandem rigs into that tiny cabin they are packed in like sardines. There are hand holds, foot wedges etc. They being jammed in against each other IS their restraint. There is no room to move.
Unfortunately the above photo is not the greatest example as there are two sport jumpers with backpack type rigs.

You may be able to see space, but what you don't see is legs, which are stopping movement.

I do agree that come an extremely steep angle, there MAY, and I say may with reservations, have been some sort of falling over the top or something but only at a very very steep angle. But no sliding at lower angles or on take off. There is no room.
From the witnesses I have spoken to, it did not go that steep, no where near vertical and it kind of "flew" into that attitude, rather than abruptly pitched.

The big unanswered question is WHY did this happen in the first place. That is unanswered and the rest doesn't even really matter.

I initially thought the trim. But since the testing was conducted and it found to be controllable in the hands of an average pilot I believe it no longer the case. Like many in NZ, I knew this pilot personally and know he was very vigilant when it came to the operation of aircraft. Trim position would have been in his mind and I'm very confidant he would have checked as he was fastidious with his checks,- particularly before the first flight of the day or after a break (as this flight was).

Not that this is scientific proof, but adding to the testing with knowing his type I personally find it unlikely. And the trim was found in the take off position, I doubt in the heat of the moment he had chance to do the many winds to full forward which would have helped, then back to take off position. I think both hands would have been wrestling with the stick and trim handle left where it was. But thats just me.