PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty, naughty! Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt
Old 3rd Jul 2003, 16:33
Mars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3top,

This is my last post on this subject.[list=1][*]We should not prejudge the outcome but it is likely that the pilot (if caught and found guilty of a flouting of the rules of the air) will be fined – the probability that there were two incidents will not assist the defence.[*]The regulation that was (allegedly) breached, was a rule written in compliance with ICAO Annex 2 – Rules of the Air (with which all States have an obligation to comply – or file differences).[*]I take it as read that the Panama Republic complies with ICAO or files a difference![*]It is likely that, in the speeding incident that you have cited, the necessity for exceeding the limit was not established (the organ could have been delivered without speeding) - why the need to take the risk? However, most of us would agree that the matter could have been dealt with in a more discrete and sensitive way.[*]Accident reports are issued by the AAIB – no connection with the CAA.[*]The CAA Flight Operations Inspectorate is staffed with current civilian high-time pilots with training and/or managerial experience - who maintain their line flying skills.[*]The legal department is staffed with a small number of lawyers – but they are not responsible for enforcement.[*]The Enforcement Section is managed by a high time helicopter pilot from the military with a distinguished record – the other (non-clerical) staff are ex-policemen (it is a very small section)[*]All non clerical staff in the CAA are recruited for their knowledge and experience in the subject for which they are responsible (in view of that the demographic distribution of staff shows a bulge at around 50 - which ensures a regular turnover).[/list=1]I apologise for the cheap shot on Russian Roulette – it was unnecessary. As a former military pilot, I had ample opportunity to engage in, and enjoy, low flying.

Head or heart - just get the balance right.

And before you ask - no, I do not work for the CAA!

Last edited by Mars; 3rd Jul 2003 at 20:57.