PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Airways 767 catches fire at FLL (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale)
Old 31st Oct 2015, 21:11
JPJP

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
wanabee777 -If the same scenario happened at night or in low visibility, especially with a full, widebody, aircraft, it would be very difficult for the fire apparatus drivers to avoid hitting evacuating passengers.

The drivers' visibility, especially their peripheral vision, is extremely limited by their head gear.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of landing a multi engine turboprop with a gear failure at a major airport in the U.S. There was an impressive response from the very well equipped ARFF.

After the excitement had died down, we were standing around waiting for the equipment to remove the aircraft from the runway. I sat in one of the trucks and received a fascinating briefing. The vehicle had a huge spike on the roof that could inject foam into the aircraft. It was also equipped with image intensifying drivers equipment and infrared technology. The Firefighter informed me that they were able to drive at speed in almost zero visibility at night.

I'd never seen this particular type of vehicle before, and I didn't see one in the footage from the SFO Asiana crash. Apparently part of the funding for it was provided by the very large cargo company that inhabits the airport.