PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can automated systems deal with unique events?
Old 31st Oct 2015, 19:51
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computers are great for certain activities e.g robotic car building = NC machines. They can reproduce perfection 24/7, in a perfect world. No unforeseen circumstances. If they encounter one they shut down and alert the nearest supervisor.
Humans have a flexibility 2nd to none; also to make mistakes, but the clever ones then correct them. Some mistakes may be caused by an unexpected event and they try a solution, feedback loop and then use ingenuity to try another possible solution; feedback loop again.
In comparing computers to humans I always look at sports men, of which I was one, and compare their reactions. I played squash and reckon I could beat a computer: I watch a cricket fielder chase the ball, slide, grab it, turn and in one motion without standing up throw the ball directly onto or over the stumps with pinpoint accuracy with a cross wind. The speed of the human brain to compute all those angles & forces, while twisting & turning, IMHO is astonishing. When a computer + machine can do that reliably maybe I'll think again.