PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last Vulcan flight
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2015, 18:12
flapsin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I had the privilege to fly with an ex Vulcan nav when on 39 sqn (Canberra PR9)who attended the infamous Bomber Command Dining In Night for all V force crews at I believe Scampton. He recalled that the same Air Marshal was the guest of honour and was repeatedly shouted down when he attempted to deliver an after dinner speech until he gave up. The calls from the floor were he said "Murderer, murderer" This was before my time in the RAF but I believe my nav completely. I doubt all of Bomber Command could be wrong. This embarrassing spectacle and subsequent mayhem were suppressed with a D Notice.
As regards the cockpit, it was originally designed for 1 pilot, so unsurprisingly cramped for 2.
I assume the GCA at LHR was a PAR, I find it impossible to believe that a controller could fail to advise deviations from the glide slope, such guidance being part and parcel of this type of approach. If it was an SRA he would just have passed advisory heights. Either way, I believe the Vulcan's pressure instruments at that time were not fully calibrated and a diversion would have been prudent. The aircraft captain showed poor command qualities in allowing the approach to continue in poor weather conditions.
I make this contribution fully aware of the Air Marshal's wartime career, but in this instance I believe his actions were responsible for the loss of 4 lives, and if my nav is to be believed, so did the crews of Bomber Command at Scampton that infamous night.