PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 31st Oct 2015, 17:19
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry I couldn't count. Having recounted, the table shows there were 5 audio and visual warnings relating to ROTOR RPM. But the point I was making is what data do they have to say those were in relation to high or low Nr?
Actually the table shows that there were three audio and visual warnings relating to Low Nr.
I don't know what data the investigators had, but they reported that they were for the same reason, Low Nr;
"The next recorded warning was rotor rpm signifying an Nr of less than 97%. This warning cleared, returned, cleared again and then returned and remained active."

Could one of the last BAT DISCH gongs at the end have been mis-interpreted as a high Nr gong, and therefore raising the lever to contain, when the Nr was already low? By this time there were a minimum of 4 red warning lights lit.
Probably not as the Nr Warnings were for low Nr.
There was only one Batt Disch activation.
When the Bat Disch Warning came on there were only three Warnings showing, the two Low Fuels and the low Rotor Rpm.

And regarding autos, as I said, AIM for 100-103%, which therefore keeps you nicely within the power off limitatio
One minute you say there a very hard workload, the next you want someone to keep within a very tight rpm margin. A quick glance to look at the needle is probably the best you'll be getting from most.

And I have more than enough respect for those involved, but feel there are always learning opportunities, especially when audio warnings sound the same for different warnings. I am not picking holes in anyone else who had posted but hope the points I have raised invoke thought to the aircraft system beyond the fuel tank.
As with any incident, we are all going to learn and even change our practises and outlooks in large ways, every day is a learning day.
The Batt Disch Warning you continue to go on about to qualify your point was right at the very end of the timeline and only came on the once. Looking at the timeline this probably occurred within the last couple of seconds.

Of course I t is good to have different ways of looking at the same incident, however we should be very careful that we don't look at the published facts and shift them around to fit our version of events. When we have so many facts in front of us, opinion should start to take a back seat.