PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Google spying.
Thread: Google spying.
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2015, 06:38
Bushfiva
Hippopotomonstrosesquipidelian title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I was terse. Partly, I figured from the tone of the title, OP would probably just want to discuss the evils of Google rather than actually do something, and understand the results of doing it.

So, if you do think it's worth defending yourself against Google and its dastardly desire to show you an ad or two, you might want to consider:

The 95 members of the National Advertising Initiative who give you the option of opting out of targeted ads: Consumer Opt-out | NAI: Network Advertising Initiative. Also the thousands of other ad companies that don't provide that option.

The little Facebook "F" icon you see on so many pages, and what information Facebook acquires through it.

Filter bubbles: Escape your search engine Filter Bubble!

The way your search terms are passed to sites you visit as a result of the search you just made.

The colossal amount of information your antivirus software collects on you, including every URL you visit. And if you're using AVG Free, for example, that information is resold.

Your Android phone has a unique Google Advertising ID which can be reset but not blocked.

Your iPhone has a unique Advertising Identifier which can be reset but not blocked.

Finally, if you DO manage to block all cookies from everyone everywhere, sites like mine don't really care because we simply track you by browser fingerprint: check how unique you are here.

So, it's fashionable to target Google, but it's like pulling hair out of a rat, and believing the rat is now hairless.