PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Veteran Tom Davidson to be given Legion d'honneur.
Old 30th Oct 2015, 20:29
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXUW - The Sunderland Echo is a good if modest paper these days - I cant seem to see your answer here in print.
facebook.com/sunderlandechoonline seems to be where they point me or us.

Toms modest quotes as a 92 year old to the Echo. " When I put the key in the door to the aircraft I was frightened, but then training took over".
"You tried not to think about the fear and just concentrate on what you were doing".
"As a crew we depended on each other so much".
" We had a fantastic pilot with great skill and strength, and he got us out of a lot of situations".
The Echo reporter then goes on to tell of Tom and crew being caught in 20 or 30 searchlights, having to abort take offs in real danger, and regularly avoiding bullets and shells.

Tom also said he was very, very proud and humbled to receive the honour.

*When I was a very young man I read the book "Bomber" by Len Deighton. Its still the best book, if utterly shocking and horrifying, I have ever read, profoundly moving, and when I now read or see people like Tom, who went through that sort of ordeal, I am still humbled by them. HS.