PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2015, 09:24
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
One more time you hit the nail on the head, the quality of management of the project is critical to its success.

Two contractors are currently bidding for the contract, one is offering to pay £45k for the general manager role, the other is offering IRO £ 30-35 K ( with other roles advertised at about £10K short of the going rate)

It will not surprise you that the company offering the lower remuneration is the company that has had the contact for the past few years and has been responsible for the mess that the MAA found.

To me this shows that I the upper management are so wide of the mark about the quality of the people they want to put in place and what you have to pay to get these skills that it demonstrates their underestimation of the task in hand.

You are in danger of being my newest Best Friend.

However IMHO it's hard to say what the going rate for the job is, at least by comparison with the civilian world. The glider workshops we use are all small with a few employees, who work very hard and the owners might well be pleased to earn the lower of the incomes you mention.

The nearest comparison might be what Lasham pay their workshop, which maintains a fleet of 20 gliders (if I've correctly counted their G-INFO entries) and possibly some tow planes, plus I suspect they also look after the winch and so on. I have no idea what he earns, but doubt it's £45k. Someone with access to the Lasham accounts might have a better idea.