PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Error ?
Thread: Pilot Error ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2015, 08:53
Noiffsorbuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I think "Task induced complacency " well describes the issue.
Of course that is where all the recurrent training, six monthly visits to the sim etc all come in. All this is designed to maintain the basic levels of rock hard professionalism that defines a safe and proficient pilot.

Never however underestimate the extent to which, even subconsciously, companies put upon their crews directly or indirectly to " get the job done" and the effect this has on the judgement and functioning of an otherwise competent pilot.

One of the most shocking things i heard was about a highly experienced crew who recently took off in a Challenger with a pitot cover on and consciously chose to continue the flight at night from ZRH to MUC despite huge downgrading of automation and safety.

When questioned, the very experienced pilot had no answer as to why he was so reckless and did not land immediately.

I firmly believe that a lot of GA companies are walking on a knife edge and put so much pressure on their crews as to render all the talk of prioritisation of safety....as just that....talk.

The CAA are complicit in this as they neither have the guts nor the manpower to ensure compliance.

A charge of corporate manslaughter in an appropriate case would concentrate the minds of all concerned in the industry.