PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Currency 61.57(c) - No Grace Period Anymore?
Old 29th Oct 2015, 03:33
Transsonic2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi and thanks for your reply so far!

You're referring to 61.57 (d) the current regs say:
(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check.

Source: eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations

I happen to have an old FAR/AIM (2009) and it said:
(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who does not meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section within the prescribed time, or within 6 calendar month after the prescribed time, may not serve as PIC under IFR or in weather conditions less than the prescribed minimums for VFR until that person has passed an instrument proficiency check...

The addition of "or within 6 calender month after the prescribed time" is not stated in the current regs anymore, this makes me think/believe that there is no additional 6 month (grace period) to get current again with a safety pilot? Perhaps somebody can shed some light on this, or please correct me if I'm completely mistaken.