PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DFS selects remote tower technology
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2015, 01:54
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
My "doom and gloom' (your words) situation has only happened to me personally about 40 times in my career, so far.

In most of those situations, I would not have wanted to have to handover a couple - or even one - other sector/s to a relief controller while trying to focus on the emergency requirement.

I don't have a problem with information saturation in the current environment. And we have quite a lot of info able to be displayed. Much more, however, and the human brain (or my brain, anyway) starts to become the limiting factor at processing it.

It's simply a case of more is less, sometimes.

But carry on pushing the fancy toys. One day, they will probably be cost-effective, and several more days down the track, fully automated. Controllers will really become software and system troubleshooters without the traditional skills, so much. I expect to be retired or dead by that time.

By then, fully automated flight decks (no human pilot) will have started to gain widespread acceptance. This matters not a bit to me. When I have a need to go places, by then, it will be on a ship, or maybe a train.

Or I'll walk. Or shuffle.