PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long did it take you to save up for you fATPL?
Old 28th Oct 2015, 21:45
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're not attracted by the BA FPP/Aer Lingus/Virgin Atlantic/West Atlantic offerings, I would say learn to fly gliders to start with before doing the full modular thing. It'll make you a better pilot and give you loads of awkward decision making situations (think 100km out from base on a task and struggling to find lift). From a financial perspective you may (depending on club) be able to build hours post-PPL by volunteering as a tug pilot.

I'm a current member of a gliding club, I've heard of six who've have gone to the airlines from my club, I don't know any of them particularly well but there is a mix of modular folks to low cost and a couple of sponsored integrated.

It's very social and you'll get to meet people from all backgrounds, from career instructors (both powered and non-powered) to airline captains. You'll get experience of ground duties and you can volunteer as an instructor without putting someone out of a job. So, if after completed the fATPL CPL/ME/IR you need an instructing job, well, you'll already have experience of teaching people how to fly.

I'm not even sure I want to go for a full-time flying career but I've really enjoyed my gliding time to date.

Last edited by Chris the Robot; 28th Oct 2015 at 22:04.