PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Pilot training in Latvia
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2015, 14:58
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Wilson,

I hope your research is going well.

I am not sure you're looking at the right bits here! Ireland is a wonderful country, but flying there will be as hap hazard as England where I learnt to fly (if not worse as they get the first battering of the Atlantic winds). It could take months for you to get your full PPL out there, especially in winter!

If relocation to do your PPL is what you would like to do, I would recommend trying to do your PPL somewhere slightly warmer with slightly better climate. Have you considered Spain, Portugal, Italy, Southern France, somewhere along the Med? I hear Czech Republic have good schools, which are somewhat cheaper than most of Europe. I hear of highly trained ex-military pilots instructing at a couple of schools (i have no personal experience there) - BUT - will that actually be cheaper after you take into account the cost of transportation, accommodation, food, bus pass (or other form of transport whilst there)...?

I would seriously take the time to consider the cost of relocation, transport to and fro, cost of living, cost of accommodation, cost of licensing, cost of fuel, the kind of likely weather during your training period etc... Something in the back of my mind tells me that the difference in cost when all items are considered will be equivalent if not more than remaining in your home country.

I would also consider what your aim is - is it to fly yourself privately for fun? If so, would that be in Germany renting an aeroplane from your local airport? In which case you will need to obtain an EASA license (where FAA conversion could cost you the initial difference in price).

There are many many factors - no right or wrong answer, but I think careful consideration is required!

Hope this helps!
Alex