PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Baggage in an Evacuation
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2015, 12:24
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that disobeying instructions and endangering others is already several offences; all that is needed is robust identification of the offender together with proof of guilt. Quite a tall order, in practice.

I remember a number of issues that adversely affected the cabin evacuation in the BA Manchester disaster so that all those people died; one event I attended at that time was a course on mass casualty event management that highlighted many of the lessons from Manchester with graphic presentations of what went wrong, why it went wrong, and the result.

Toxic smoke, its rapid expansion in the cabin, and the effect on visibility was featured, and resulted in floor guidance systems; smokehoods got a lot of attention but were eventually discarded. Many other lessons were learned, as well, including not to use materials that generate toxic smoke.

I do not recall cabin baggage being identified as an important contributing factor to the difficulty of evacuation and consequent high loss of life; but maybe that's yet another memory failure on my part.

For the ultimate evacuation failure, look no further than Saudi Arabian Flight 163, in 1980.