PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 28th Oct 2015, 07:54
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
I agree with much of your post but:

Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
1. The best possible simulator is achieved by using the manufacturers flight data pack.
Do you have any justification for this point? My understanding regarding flight testing for the sim flight model is that the manufacture's flight testing is primarily about certification. The sim data is taken from that as a secondary consideration and thus the test flights are not optimised to sim flight model data gathering.

By contrast a third party manufacturer (Frasca in our case) does a lot of fully instrumented test flying dedicated solely to sim flight model data gathering. As a result, the flight model data is more comprehensive.

Well that's what Frasca told me anyway! And it does seem reasonable.

Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY

3. Contrary to many beliefs, an FFS is built to reflect the design and therefor the failure modes prescribed in the RFM. Going off piste by trying to simulate conditions not prescribed in the RFM is very problematic
It may be a bit problematic, but when the flight manual, is wrong, or has significant omissions in mentioned failure modes, there isn't much choice.