PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Go around?
Thread: 737 Go around?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2015, 05:43
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheiC

Apologies if any confusion regards afford, certainly not meant in context of "affordable safety", perhaps "allow" would have been clearer.

In the go-around incident I mentioned it is indeed unfortunate your right arm was not there or quite clearly there would have been no incident.
Sadly your right arm was NOT there, the Captain applied insufficient power and an incident (almost accident) occurred which would NOT have happened had the A/T been in ARM mode. Fact!

Alpha floor - well if the A/T is disconnected and insufficient power set the aircraft will eventually stick shaker then stall if not corrected, if in ARM the power will come up BEFORE the stick shaker would activate thereby avoiding stick shaker and stall because the insufficient power setting has already been corrected.

Call me crazy but I'd call that Alpha Floor protection - possibly Boeing 737 style - but still protection which can improve (wait for it)...SAFETY!

Just a shame this system that allows SAFETY is too darned complex for the average knuckle-dragging pilot to understand!

Cheers all.