PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Square one?
Thread: Square one?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2003, 04:45
MackMeeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Square one?

Hello lads and Lasses

I've tried all the search options for this forum and still not come up with any concrete advice, so I'll chuck in a question or two and happily let myself in for a kicking if I'm being a bit dim..

1. How did any of you start in the Bizjets industry i.e getting the first job? Was it a case of canvassing operators and asking them if they'd give you work if you went off and got a type rating, or was it the usual knowing who you know? I've tried geting assisstant pilot work (offering unpaid just to get the experience) but nobody wants to know.

2. How do you decide which aircraft to go for if a self funded type rating was the option (something I disgree with but it looks like the industry as a whole is going that way). Where do you go for the tuition? Is a rating gained in the US just as valued as one gained in the Uk? How much did it cost? (lets face it, the bottom line in everything to do with aviation).

I'm just another upstart at his wits end with a JAR ATPL and a part-time instructors job wanting to claw my way into the exclusive pilots club and fly aeroplanes for a living. Having scally'd a look inside a 125 from Netjets once upon a time (and yes I talked to the pilots, they were both ex-airline) I'm giving corporate serious thought, but having only 750hrs and no type rating I'm running out of ideas. I'm trying hard not to sound like a petulant child but its geting silly now.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers