PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 27th Oct 2015, 13:10
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
P.96
Contributary Factors

2. The RADALT and steerable landing light were unpowered after the
second engine flamed out, leading to a loss of height information and
reduced visual cues.

Hmmm;

Rad Alt over a built up area.
Would one be able to rely on that height information for judging the height during an auto over the city. Could the preset ht warning (600' +), before the verbal ht warning be a further distraction?

Where to steer the light.
A steerable landing light would be steerable, but steered to where? Perhaps to a position at which the non steerable light, on the Ess bar, is already at? Or maybe straight ahead, but how high, for the flare or for the level?
Where is that steerable light pointing when you switch it on?

efish,

A good point about the dark spaces in built up areas; parks, roofs, car park, woods, cemetery, allotment or waste ground … feeling lucky!

As you goggle and I don't, how close are the goggles to the roof when in the stowed position? (fixed your seats up & down yet? )
If you were to take them off, to relieve the neck muscles, where do you place them? (Surely not on the floor, loose articles and all that)

I once, while landing, had a set knocked off by the GOA in Kuwait that ended up between my feet. Now that was an interesting couple of minutes in the dark hole of a desert