PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Griffith University Aviation ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2015, 09:34
iPahlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You talk about a lecturer who is based at one University campus giving lectures to other campuses

This is a scenario where a lecturer is based in a state 2500 km away from Griffith , where Griffith as no presence , beaming lectures back to Qld. I would say that would be highly unusual in the Aust University context.

How many full time lecturers do Melb / Monash / Deakin have that are based somewhere else in Australia - zero I would suggest.

The students clearly miss out on having someone who is collecting a full time wage from being around the aviation department. Available for extra time outside of tutorials , the casual chats in corridor , attending lab work/ functions. Able to drop in to their office at a whim with queries or ideas.

In other words the person just not being available for the normal student/staff interaction (& availability) that is typical of normal uni courses at normal Australian universities.
Yes, yes it is common.

Monash has campuses around Vic and in India, China, Italy, South Africa and Malaysia.

Deakin and Melbourne have campuses spread around Melbourne, Werribee, Shepparton, Warrnambool, Geelong etc etc etc. Now that may not quite be 2500k, but still a long way to walk to "chat to someone in a hallway"...

There are also a heap of other uni's with staff spread around Australia, just look at ACU.

I am curious though, what point are you trying to make precisely?