PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates DEC
Thread: Emirates DEC
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2015, 08:55
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pixy

We cannot dispute that our management are brilliant at running a very profitable airline but they are atrocious in how they manage their own staff. Would we be seeing more DECs now if there were sufficient F/Os who were suitable and wanting to join the company, as there are many F/Os with the experience for promotion at present? One could argue that the announcement of DECs coming is a great example of a reactive decision, which demonstrates little forethought. All the good qualities that management should possess as listed by yourself, are in abundance within our own management in a commercial context but are sadly lacking, when it comes to how they manage their own people.

The situation that we are now in is one that seems to create little anger amongst F/Os, as the general feeling is perhaps one of despondency. The email from JA announced something that has been the subject of rumour and discussion for months. It was something that many of us were expecting and it came as little surprise.

As I see it, management are dealing their last card from their deck with the decision to recruit DECs. If they can't recruit the number that they need, then they face a problem and perhaps a serious one too. As they say desperate times require desperate measures. Could these desperate measures involve offering new DEC joiners more than what the company would be inclined to initially offer? I personally wouldn't be at all surprised if so.

As for the wider discussion involving Malaysians or Russians joining, then I can't see there being many despite the woes within those countries. It's just too competitive at the moment for 330 and 777 pilots, with plenty of other options around. Some being a lot closer to home for the Malaysians as well. The one thing that could pose a hurdle for Russians is their English proficiency along with the autocratic management style that seems to be so common on the flight deck in that part of the world.

The next few months will be very interesting indeed.