PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 27th Oct 2015, 08:35
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
TC sez,

in preparation for that unexpected mal;function to flash up
Duh? Any successive caution will bring up the MASTER CAUTION no?

OR, if it was a prolonged hover and I was unable to manouevre temporarily - switch the pumps off.
WTF? This will NOT extinguish the CAUTION caption "F PUMP" so why bother? Why paint yourself into a corner as well as NOT OPERATING IAW WITH THE RFM.

The EC135 'density compensator' type fuel capacitors that indicate fuel content weren't in my opinion - rocket science technology. They always gave sporadic changes in the amount remaining, they always 're-adjusted' themselves after landing (level attitude).
Granted they have been around for a while but what else is there that is approved and certified? They will "re-adjust" themselves as they are "pitch compensated" and dampened via the CAD software.

Crab sez,

One of the solutions - the nod - seems to be counter-productive since it sends fuel away from the tanks that directly feed the engines
Er no it doesn't. TC is talking about the main tank not the supply tanks.

Do you guys make this sh1t up as you go along?

And when TC is referring to "low fuel" he is referring to a "F PUMP" CAUTION light not a "LOW FUEL" WARNING light I am sure or at least hope so. If there is fuel in the MAIN tank enough to cover the pump which you can determine by your current speed and the quantity on the CAD then the fuel pump shall be ON. Anything else is contrary to the RFM. The procedure in the RFM is to determine if you have a F PUMP failure or not which would be best to know as it may have consequences.

I was discussing this recently with an old school friend who went to planks with QF about 20 years ago after about 12K on helicopters. He mentioned when he was on the 747-400 LAX-SYD it was common to have transfer pump warning lights constantly on approaching SYD after ~ 13 hours. The phenomena is not unique.