PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Griffith University Aviation ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2015, 04:05
propsmear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of getting hooked, I will take a bite.

Wondering how this program is traveling nowadays , how many students in each year of the course etc.

From memory there was 180 which started in my cohort several years ago. That number dwindled down and by the time students started flying training (third year) I would guestimate there was just over a third of those students left.

Have heard that many of the students take substantially longer than the three years to complete their flying training. What is the reality of the situation there ?

The degree covers a three year period and the flight training another year by itself. In total it really is a four year program. On all accounts, those that put in the work and were motivated did finish the training and the degree in that time period.

Are they generally completing their flying on time , or is it only the lazy , unmotivated undergrads who aren't getting it done ?

As above.

What is the standard of the training like at AAA ?? Where do most of the students go after graduation (aside from their local centrelink office) are any getting jobs , going north etc.

The standard of training AAA is probably best left answered by somebody that employed the graduates. I thought the training was good.

Those that were willing to put in the effort and the hard yards for the most part were able to land jobs. Some of these were at airlines in cadet-programs, others in G.A and a handful in the military. It paid to have the right attitude but also be at the right place at the right time. Some people took longer to find work then others, that is the nature of the beast, there are too many pilots for the jobs available. By all accounts those that persevered did find a job.

As an outsider the program always looked a bit of a "blow my own trumpet" kind of set up. As they kept advertising the fact that they ran the Qantas cadet program years after the program folded. The Griffith Uni Cathay Pacific cadetship was also quite curious , as all they really seemed to be saying was that after you completed the degree Griffith would provide you with the opportunity to apply. Well couldn't anyone in the world apply to Cathay once they had a CPL (and 250 hours)

There was a handful that got this opportunity but for the most part, I would agree with you. Those that were silly enough to enter the program with the idea they were going to get a cadetship and be on a jet within a few years were the first to leave.

Understand Senior Lecturer Tarryn Killie actually lives in Tasmania and delivers her lectures by computer or something, and she is a program manager. This sounds like a highly unusual arrangement , I wonder how many other academics are employed full time as a senior lecturer in Australia & live 2500 km away from their place of work, whilst picking up a six figure salary. I wonder what the students think about this having one of their academics (& they only have four or five full timers) live 2500 km , not available on a M to F basis on campus- getting a fair shake for their HECS ??

Also understand the previous head of Griffith Aviation Paul Bates is now at USQ , and it would seem just set up a new aviation program there. Why did this guy leave ? , did other staff leave ?

Don't know enough about this to comment as they were both there when I did the program.

All a bit confusing really , is the program a good program ? & would people who have completed it recommend it ? It seems these Uni programs can get complicated with their relationships with flying schools.

I enjoyed the program, it was a good introduction to a field I really didn't know much about straight out of school. It gave me a little bit of time to mature up and get some exposure. I made some good lifelong friends during the course and I have the pleasure to work with some of them now.