PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Go around?
Thread: 737 Go around?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2015, 22:12
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of years ago a new/old "esteemed" Captain almost created a smoking hole doing a do-around after having disconnected the A/T (hello 1960's!) and not applying sufficient thrust, company "policy" to that point was ARM mode the 737 operation having been set up by those with substantial 737 experience.

Fortunately for the company the F/O was able to talk the Captain through the stuff up without the Captain losing "face"; just dumb luck, the right F/O in the right place at the right time, some would have been too conflicted by culture to have saved the day,

There are times when the ARM mode does NOT work (primarily gusty unstable winds) and is best disconnected, the question is not "when do you use ARM mode", the question should be "when would you NOT use ARM mode?"
Bit of groundschool, 10 minutes in the SIM and - as if by magic! - seeing is believing, all understood and everyone happy!

ARM mode is both an operational mode and a safety mode - why would you disconnect a safety mode if you don't have to?
And call me crazy but I don't believe "too lazy or too stupid" is a valid reason in 2015 - you'll have to do better than that please!

Finally for the "flat earthers" out there who reckon ARM is white man magic and should never, ever be used: why would Boeing waste time and money on a feature (yes again a SAFETY feature) if it's never, ever to be used??

I thought it was only Airbus who were that way inclined at times!