PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 26th Oct 2015, 19:04
Torquetalk

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Chopjock, you will, I am quite sure, be aware that simulators are used for "real" autorotations in twins. They do a very good job of this and for crews who havent got much of an experience base in autos, allow errors to be made without the consequences being ruiningly expensive.

I think the reaction time from flying twins is an important point. SE pilots get drilled to react quickly. My guess is that pilots flying twins regularly react less quickly. This is not always a disadvantage as things can go wrong with the engine or fuel system which wont be helped one bit by lowering the lever quickly without a quick diagnosis of whats wrong.

Practicing autos in big expensive aircraft is loaded with risks of overspeed and mismanaged landings. Personal opinion is that any operator putting their entire flight crew through real aircraft EOL training would be quite barmy. And it is probably no coincidence that they are not required to and dont.

I seem to recall that 25% of all helicopter accidents in the US are practice autos gone wrong.

Did Dave get regular (annual?) sim sessions?