PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 26th Oct 2015, 18:40
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thomas coupling, my hat is off to that honest statement of yours!
It is perfectly in sync with what a freind of mine told me (then HEMS in BO105, now HEMS in EC135 in winter and long lining in AS350 in summer, FI for both BO and EC):
"One doesn't practice engine-idle autos to 10fr skid height like you newbies in S-300C. Reason: too expensive when something with reapplying power gos foul and this szenario is deemed so extremely unlikely."

So my take is that an unknown but quite sizable amount of non-pprune CPL in service quite probably have no recent experience of idle engine autorotations.

A) If we fix dangerous user interfaces (overhead switch vs. NVG stowed, tactile differences of controls) of the machines and remove unnecessary but potetially dangerous setups (like non dry-run safe fuel pumps) we actually could leave the recency of experience requirements as they currently are. Manufacturer "pays" the cost.

B) Or we go the long way and make sure that every helo pilot does know how to safely autorotate to safe height. Then we all pay the cost via insurance premiums/higher lease rates.

W/o wanting to sound atrocious, both regimes can be argued in favour of, but implementing none of those two options is unacceptable.

Last edited by Reely340; 26th Oct 2015 at 19:13.